Jeri's 101 in 1001

New Post

« Home | New Trick » | #12 See the Oscar Nominated Movies... - Done! » | #96 Do Spring Cleaning on the Computer - Done! » | #29 26 Things - Done! » | A couple of new things » | #74 Try Ten Different Coffees - Done! » | Writing with POWER » | Check Out the Peek-a-Boo Task List » | Another Update » | What I've Been Doing Since Memphis »

Monday, April 17, 2006

#1 Write 1st screenplay for 2006 - DONE!



11 Down
90 To Go


Whew! I Finally finished the first screenplay for 2006. Actually, One Week is a script I wrote in 2005. I edited it and rewrote it in 2006. But since I spent more time rewriting this one then I did writing it in the first place, I'm counting it as a completed task.

Rewriting SUCKS! Hopefully, the more scripts I write, the better I will get at planning the story elements before I start writing, and identifying trouble spots after the first draft is completed. Less time spent rewriting, means more time for writing. That's where the fun lies.

Rewriting One Week was the reason I went back to the drawing board, reviewed my old screenwriting books and eventually wrote Writing with POWER. I got stuck in the rewrite and didn't know what to do with it. I liked the story, believed I had a good idea for a script, but it just needed some tweeking and I didn't know what to tweek and how to tweek it. This was a clue that I didn't understand storytelling as well as I thought. Writing is easy. Knowing how to fix what needs fixing is the hard part. For me, anyway. One Week even forced me to go back and REWRITE part of Writing with POWER. The first draft proved to be less helpful than I had hoped. But after more thought, things began to click and the story problems suddenly became clear. I'm happier with the story now and think I learned a lot from this rewrite experience.

I'm thrilled that I finished this script before the end of April. It gives me a couple of weeks to cleanse the pallet before I get busy writing the next script. It also gives me time to work on some other tasks that I want to start or finish before the end of the month.

Stay tuned for what I hope will be a task thrashing couple of weeks.

3 Comments:

Way to go Jeri! I know that it takes a lot to write a screenplay - I am proud of you for sticking with it!

Sheri

 
by Blogger Greg & Sheri, at Mon Apr 17, 02:59:00 PM

Thanks, Sheri. It can be the most frustrating thing when things aren't coming together, but also the most enjoyable when they are.

 
by Blogger Jeri, at Wed Apr 19, 07:27:00 AM

It's good to get some things behind you and move on to something new. I hope your rewrite is a big hit!

 
by Blogger Unknown, at Wed Apr 19, 05:25:00 PM

Post a Comment

<< Home